We are at war! As believers we find ourselves in the midst of a spiritual conflict of cosmic proportions! In the arena of personal evangelism, our enemy – the devil and his minions – want to keep us from sharing the truth that sets men and women free. For the souls of people hang in the balance.
In Ephesians 6, the Apostle Paul describes the spiritual war that the devil and the demons wage against us. In verses 10–18, Paul describes the whole armor of God we are to put on in this fight, including:
- * Girding your waist with truth
- * Putting on the breastplate of righteousness
- * Shodding your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace
- * Taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one
- * Donning the helmet of salvation
- * And taking the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God
As we pray in preparation to engage the battle that is evangelism, put on the whole armor of God. This is praying for protection.
In addition to praying for ourselves, we need to be praying for those we’re seeking to reach for the Lord. For the enemy also opposes their reception of truth. In fact, when we sow gospel seed (the word of God), the wicked one desires to come and snatch away what was sown in their heart (Matthew 13:19).
So pray for spiritual protection, both for yourself and those with whom you’re sharing Jesus.
Heavenly Father, please protect me as I witness for You and protect that precious person in whom I’m sowing gospel seed. Amen.